Wednesday, May 5, 2010

O-R-A-N-G-E Orange!


What's that fable about not pleasing people all the time. Today kind of felt like on of those days. Except like I couldn't please anyone. Oh well. Some days are like that, but pardon me if I take this little blip of blog space to rant a bit. Tune out now if you would prefer not to read my rant. Go ahead. I won't hold it against you. My lack of "pleasy-ness" began this morning with C5. Let me back up and explain that C5 is a very picky eater. It's in the genes. My dad is like the world's pickiest eater. So C5 has the usual kid favorites - chicken nuggets, spaghetti, etc.etc. This is not from lack of trying on my part, but he is Mr. Stubborn and in the end it really just turns out that I'd rather make things he is comfortable with than fight with him. However, I decided this week that I am going to add one new food for him to try once a week. My rule is that if he doesn't like it, he doesn't  have to try it again, but he does have to try at least one bite of it. If he doesn't like it and can give me a reason other than "I just don't like it because", I won't make him eat the rest. I'm ok with that. Some parents may call that giving in, but it works for me. This morning I decided a fresh orange would be our first food of the week to try. We've tried oranges in the past, but he wouldn't even put them in his mouth. I cut up 3 little cubes of orange on his plate with his waffle. He eyeballed it and about had a freak out because it was even on his plate. I got that calmed down, and told him just to worry about the waffle and then he could try one bite of the orange. Let me just tell you that this turned into a 45 minute ordeal. After much screaming and crying - mostly on my part - just kidding- he finally tried one bite. This was after gagging repeatedly because his delicate palate wasn't sure it could handle a sliver of orange the size of my thumbnail. In the end these were his words: "It tastes like orange juice, but I don't like it. It's slimy like worms." Oh well. You win some. You lose some. I'm just glad he tried it.

Speaking of trying something new...well not exactly new but something I haven't done in a long time. I wasn't sure if I was going to make it to the park tonight or not, so I decided that I would find a workout video to do from home before work. Working out before work doesn't usually work for me too well, but I thought I would go ahead because I didn't want to miss a workout. I'm already two days into the week and this is my first workout of the week. I dug through my videos and found a goofy aerobic dance video done by Paula Abdul from back in her popular days. As cheesy as the video looked, I was surprised to find the workout so challenging. It was good, though. I was able to keep up with it for the most part. I could definitely tell it has been awhile since I have done any type of dance other than belly dancing. 45 minutes of dance and my legs are screaming tonight, but that's a really good feeling for me. It lets me know that I actually did something good for my body. I don't know if this video will become a regular part of my fitness rotation or not, but I'm sure I will slip it in there occasionally for a little variety.

Tomorrow is going to be quite the busy day. It is National Day of Prayer and Worship Lounge. We are joining both events at our church this year, so I'm praying that everything goes as planned and runs smoothly. We'll see tomorrow. I will probably start the day off with some yoga to help get me loose since I know I will be running all over creation. Hopefully, it will bring my stress level down a bit too. With that I say good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment