Friday, July 23, 2010

And Your Host Is...ME!


Last night I was given a really great opportunity. I got to be guest-host of the Worship Lounge! I had so much fun with it.The Church Chix are some really talented musicians. They have a heart for serving the Lord and for leading people into an amazing place of worship. Interviewing the Chix was great because their testimony as a band just came out naturally and really added to the experience for me as someone in the audience. Which was exactly what I was hoping for. I believe that people are more apt to hear and believe in Christ when they see how He has changed and worked in the lives of someone else.

When I started preparing for my hosting duties, I started thinking about what type of questions I wanted to ask the bands and about what the audience would want to know about the band and their music. I'm one of those nerds who sits out in the audience wanting to know why the band wrote that song or how they get inspired. I'm more Behind the Music than American Bandstand. Here are the questions that I asked:
1. How did the Church Chix come to be a  band?
2. What musicians or bands have influenced your sound?
3. What is the one thing you want people to take away from hearing your music?

I wanted to keep things simple so that they actually did more of the talking than I did. It's easy for me to get caught up and do LOTS of talking (no it doesn't just happen in my writing). I wanted to make sure that they had the opportunity to share their faith and how it shapes their gifts. I thought simple questions would give the band an opportunity to elaborate without me over-directing the interview.

Not only was this my first opportunity to host the Worship Lounge, it also coincided with my first day of participating in Justin Wise's Big Ask Experiment (yes, it's a k). The experiment is about having the courage to go after the "big ask", but not just going after one "big ask" but 30 - one a day for 30 days. Some asks may be bigger than others. Some may push you out of your comfort zone and some may make your askee a little squirmy, but some of the "big asks" just might take your life in a direction that you never imagined but will love. As with everything, I think this experiment takes some faith, some boldness, and discernment.

For day one of the Big Ask Experiment, my "big ask" was my hosting duties at the Worship Lounge. This was something that was new to me and out of my comfort zone...and it was done in front of a crowd of people. I got a lot of positive feedback from the experience, and it was definitely something I would love a crack at doing again. I don't know where God is leading all these experiences I've been having lately, but I know He's leading and wherever it leads will be greater than I could have ever imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment