Sunday, July 11, 2010

Varied Life, Varied Blog?

This week I'm raising the bar high for me and my blogging. I have five ideas for blog posts that have been rumbling around my brain for the past week or two. Some posts I could rattle off without even breaking a sweat. A couple of posts will require a little more thinking and research on my part, but I'm anxious to write them. Of course, I probably have chosen the craziest week to be ambitious with my writing since I've been off work for a week, I'm teaching VBS this week, and then we have a Ten Talents concert to get ready for on Saturday. It will be a busy week, but I am up for the challenge.

I have been giving a lot of thought to my blog lately. I have been thinking about where Living Life Without a A Net fits in the scheme of the blogging world. There are a lot of bloggers blogging about blogs (say that 3 times fast) and how to get more traffic and subscribers to them. They all seem to agree that too much variation in a blog pretty much relegates your blog to having your mom and your best friend to be your only readers. Basically, these bloggers suggest finding a topic that you can commit to and become an expert on that topic. As much as I understand this concept, I also realize this is not my nature. My interests and my life are so varied, wouldn't it be natural that my blog would mirror that? Don't get me wrong. There is a place for specialty (rocket science, brain surgery...just to name a few). However, my life probably fits more in the category of  'jack of all trades,  master of none'. I'm the kid who decided to chase the butterfly instead of finishing my homework just to see where it would take me. I'm the girl who couldn't choose a college major because I found them all so interesting.

I have always enjoyed writing, but I became interested in blogging when I started reading my friend, Monika's fitness blog - In Training. Her blog encouraged me to start my own blog. At the time, I was about to start a new eating and exercise program, so I jumped on the healthy living blog bandwagon (and have since fallen off that wagon more than a few times over the course of this blog's life). As I've gone back over my blog, I have come to realize that perhaps healthy living isn't actually my niche in the blogosphere. Living Life Without a Net is just that - it's a blog about living my kooky life. Sometimes I eat healthy and exercise, and sometimes I just want a hamburger or a bananasplit. Sometimes I want to write about the exercise I did today, and other times I would much rather write about the goofy things my kid did instead. I'll be honest. I just can't commit to one thing, because I'm so much more than one thing. This is just a blog about me and my varied interests. Sorry to all those blogging professionals out there.

So I'll end this post by writing that there are so many random things that will pop up on this blog from time to time. For instance, this week (if I can get all of these entries written) you will see some aspects of my job, some healthy living stuff, and probably some more stuff about my goofy kid (I just can't resist it). My blog is as varied as my life is. What can I say?

This one's for you, Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment