Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The seasons are changing

Hello old friend. It's been awhile since I filled your pages with the details that make up a life. The seasons have changed, yet again. Now it is fall. The leaves are falling. The weather is delightful. There is just something about fall. Some people think that the start of a new year is the perfect time to start something new - new workout, new eating plan - but I think fall is the right time to begin something new. Perhaps I think like this because, like most people, I was trained from an early age that fall is when school starts. It's the time when a new phase of life begins.

I decided (after I saw my husband had started working out again)that it was time to start moving. Time to think about getting healthy again. I want to have this started before my least favorite season gets here. Winter. I need something that will energize me through the dark, chilly months of winter. It will keep me focused when all I will really want to do is curl up under the covers and sleep. I've often wondered if perhaps I am part bear. When it starts to get cold outside and the darkness overtakes the day earlier, I have this amazing desire to sleep, to hibernate under the covers. So I need something to give me energy, to fight my natural urge to hide away under the covers and sleep away the winter chill.

Finding a workout that suits me is the best cure. It will give me the strength and energy to conquer the day.I started last week with a short boot camp on Sparkpeople.com. Sparkpeople is an excellent resource for anyone looking to start a new fitness/wellness routine. The boot camp was just challenging enough to help me get a good start without feeling overwhelmed by starting something new. It also was a great jump start to getting me to want to add to my workout. To be honest, I've never been one who really enjoyed cardio equipment, and the Lord certainly didn't build me to be a runner. I have decided to go with what workouts naturally suit my personality - dance, yoga, weights, walking. If I do something that feels natural to me, then I feel like I'll be more likely to stick with it long term instead of trying to force myself into doing something that doesn't interest me.

My challenge will be in getting my workouts and my eating habits aligned. I typically find that I can do one or the other, but I can't do both when it comes to healthy eating or working out. I know it's two sides of the same coin. I just can't seem to get it balanced. Just gotta keep working on it, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment