Friday, March 13, 2009

Playing Catch Up

Playing catch up seems to be the story of my life. I tend to be more like the hare instead of the tortoise. One minute I'm way out in front of the pack the next minute I'm snoozing under the tree or chasing butterflies. Well I've just woken up from a nap and am ready to take off again.
In the two months since I last updated this blog, I've lost about 15 pounds, visited a nutritional/herbal counselor, continued to avoid Cokes (at least daily), stopped eating cheese, am still trying to eliminate wheat and corn from my diet, and am trying to get on a regular workout routine.

Where I can, I've been replacing wheat with rice and spelt products . Eliminating wheat has honestly been rather difficult. Other than actually liking bread, I've realized that there is wheat in almost everything. I'm so thankful for my friend who has stocked me up with a wide variety of rice crackers, and for Central Market and their spelt bread (when they have it) and spelt tortillas. My next project is to learn to make my own spelt bread. We'll see how that goes :)

I've realized that some people are either very understanding of someone with special dietary needs or don't get it at all. Thankfully, those in my close circle of friends and family have at least tried to accomodate my needs. I know that in this economy it's not easy to accomodate every person's special need, but they have really made an effort and been so supportive.

With all the effort that I have been making in how I eat, I have really fallen down on working out regularly. I would like to say that it has been the cooler weather and getting over not feeling well, but that wouldn't be entirely the issue. Actually, I haven't been managing my time effectively and haven't made working out the priority that I need to. We did do about a 4 mile hike at the new Eagle Mountain Park on Eagle Mountain Lake last week. I have to brag on Charlie, he walked the entire way and loved every minute of it. He's my little explorer. I think I've got a workout buddy in him. He's certainly my motivator. I also am excited that my walking group is ready to start back up again. Since quite a few of us work during the day, the extra hour of light in the evening really motivates us to get out and walk.

My goal is to get my eating and working out more in balance. In the past, and even now, I find myself focussing on one rather than the other. Both are great for me, but until I at least attempt to get them in balance, I'm not going to have the results that I want to have. As I try to juggle the craziness of life with my health, I just think about James 1:4 "Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything".

Another goal I have is to update my blog more regularly. I'm shifting from posting the same blog enteries this on this and three other sites to just this one. I'm sure the web will be a safer place with me contained in two places - here and Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment